lebanese premier league Menu Close

plural of computer mouse oxford dictionary

The Plural of Sheep - Grammar Monster See that mouse next to your computer? However, if the mouse does not have a cord, there is not enough "mouse-ness" and it loses its irregularity. What is the Plural of Moose? | The Word Counter the traditional form mice, however, is the most common choice, whereas. Campus maps | More contact information | Jobs. Also, such people are hard to ignore as they are often in powerful positions. You have one "silly goose" and multiple "silly gooses." . Is 'pointing devices' another term for fingers? What is the plural for a computer mouse - bitspeedit.com Pianos come in different sizes and shapes, and can be used for different purposes. And that just results in RATS on the premises. lacking access to such information; (also) containing or providing little information. 4 votes Robbie from Keene, New Hampshire, called in with this . It's built-in, in the form of a touch pad, but is still referred to as a mouse in the manual; secondly, if you go to CompUSA and ask for "peripherals," you'll get directed to not only mice (as I'll refer to them because it's how I always have, and people know what I've meant), but speakers, printers, external hard drives, and anything else that can plug in to your computer.As far as what to call them "officially," I say, if the guy who invented the thing named it after the furry critter, and the plural form of said critter is "mice," then the plural form of the device is "mice" as well. Lets not worry about the etymology of the term. Let rodents be rodents and distinguish it. I sometimes have two computer mouses on my table, but they just stand still on their place, they dont have eyes, legs and I'm sure they dont run across my table all the time (without my interference). It's not a problem for the Irish as they pronounce house as hice so mouse would be mice, "Unless of course they are the sort of people who do not approve of prepositions at the end of sentences, when we do well to ignore them" --Stevens. Permalink Answer (1 of 5): These online dictionaries (Longman, Macmillan, Cambridge, Oxford, Merriam-Webster, and Collins) provide the following plural form of a computer mouse: 1. mouse | meaning of mouse in Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English | LDOCE: mouses 2. mouse (noun) definition and synony. Yes, this is creative but it is not the reason for it being called mouse. Therefore, a mouse with a cord has enough "mouse-ness" to carry the irregular plural. 34 votes If your mouse has a cord, the plural is mice. A computer mouse is a handheld hardware input device that controls a cursor in a GUI (graphical user interface) and can move and select text, icons, files, and folders on your computer. Thus, the correct plural for (computer) mouse is undoubtedlymousen! mmmm Dear sir, I would like to order a computer mouse. For those of you running Windows XP (possibly other operating systems, too), if you go to "device manager" you will find that your mouse is listed under "Mice and other pointing devices". Specifically, the name moose comes from the languages of the Eastern Algonquian and Narragansett tribes. arrow_forward. Permalink What is the Plural Of Computer Mouse? mouse meaning: 1. a small mammal with short fur, a pointed face, and a long tail: 2. a small device that you move. Heres how to find the best mouse for you. Permalink In the early days of computers, engineers often said computer mouses just for fun. The stores were overrun with rats and mice. It depends on where you are and whether you want to sound knowledgeable, agreeable or plain silly, which are all acceptable by the way. arrow_forward. . I have my doubts on what PimpleMaze said, in my country we speak spanish, and we dont say, " Quiero comprar un ratn". The plural for the small rodent is always "mice" in modern usage. In this case, the plural chosen in a natural language fashion would be 'mouses'. This has been a wonderful discussion, it has all finally come out, and the beast is exposed. Next time you go to use the word computer mouse you will be an expert. Permalink "Insofar as my own California dialect is concerned, `mouses' is the correct form and `mice' refers exclusively to rodents," Kaye writes. The first recorded plural usage is "mice"; the online Oxford Dictionaries cites a 1984 use, and earlier uses include J. C. R. "When has definition ever effected pluralization?". Everyplace I have ever worked, we called the plural "mice" as in "are there any extra mice around?". "plural." The Oxford Pocket Dictionary of Current English. 23 votes I have a magazine from either "RUN", "Compute! 1 vote mice . In the library that has no computers the librarian is a lot friendlier and knows me and my family . If you've got more than one of them, are they computer mice or mouses? Find the answers with Practical English Usage online, your indispensable guide to problems in English. a small device that is moved by hand across a surface to control the movement of the. it's rather unfortunate that,Douglas is no more.anyway,if Douglas named the device after the living creature 'mouse',he never gave a plural form of the device and so it'll remain that way.the only mention name that i'll go by is 'mouse devices' as the plural of the computer mouse.i think it's a matter of preferance,be it mice,mouses,meeses or mooses because not any one of them is said to be wrong. A number of websites suggest avoiding the issue altogether, and calling them pointing devices. I am a student in the OIT department for my university and I had to put several mouses, mice, meeses, myse, mousen away today and that's what brought me here geeks are awesome! They arent afraid of me, as well (or at least I hope so :D) so theres no reason for me to call them like animals. They are not all equally likely, but even in context we may not be able to predict absolutely which one will occur. has fingertip controls for selecting a function or entering a command. little mouse. information-poor n. and adj. If your mouse has a cord, the plural is mice. Based on reviews, your best bet for a sideways Jay Leno Driver Mouse is Logitech MX Vertical Wireless Mouse. Notice how the verb changes to align with the subject. He worked for the company Xerox Parc at the time. You would not say The Children are going to bring the wine,unless you were referring to their offspring- The Childs children. Find more words! A computer mouse is a handheld hardware input device that controls a cursor in a GUI (graphical user interface) and can move and select text, icons, files, and folders on your computer. Their meaning is not specified by the head word. ", or "Byte" from the early '80s in a box in my garage somewhere that discuses mouses. Making comments that don't edify anyone - even the writer! Therefore, maybe "mouses" could be acceptable. For desktop computers, the small device is placed on a flat surface (e.g., mouse pad or desk) in front of your computer display screen. All we need to know for our purposes is that mutated plurals are in fact quite rare in modern English. Permalink hello, i belive the answer to this question is mouses, i do not believe mice is appropriate in this context, thank you for your time and consideration.. love you all, sincerley, mouses. Language' endorses both _computer mice_ and _computer mouses_ as correct. The computer mouse might have an interesting name when you think about it, but it definitely is a much catchier name than its previous name X-Y Position Indicator. And get two people in Mickey Mouse costumes together, and you have Mickey Mouses, not Mickey Mice. When I looked out the window, there were two moose . I guess that would make mine a WIRELESS MOOSE!!!! He thought the police were playing some elaborate game of cat and mouse and waiting to trap him. Technically, since "mouse" is an acronym for "manually-operated user-select equipemtn," it sound probably be pluralized as "mouses." This phenomenon isn't unusual in English, as Pinker observed in "Words and Rules." The light pens are compatible with any DOS or Windows application and IBM computers in general. Throwing my vote into the hat with mouses. He actually named the computer mouse after the rodent. I prefer to say/write "mouses". or fill in the name and email fields below: This is a tough one, because there really is no official ruling on this usage yet. great debate! While this thread has gone on for years now (Yearses?) Kaye surveyed more than 1,000 students at California State University at Fullerton, where he teaches linguistics, and he found that about 90 percent opt for "mouses" as the plural of the clicking device. 18 votes It's been that way since Old English:mus > mys mouse > micelus > lys louse > licehus > hus plural for hus in OE was betokened by make the article plural. (similarly according to Pinker, in baseball, a ball that flies out in the past is "flied out", not flew out- tho don't follow the sport so not really sure)Does all this apply to (computer) mouse?Dunno, but mouses sounds more logical to me. That's how language works. A mouse has gnawed its way through the telephone wire. Examples Examples have not been reviewed. Definition of mouse noun from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. I am a teacher and think that confusing young minds with Mice, Mouses would be detrimental to their studies, 2 votes Report Abuse. (which i found to be correct after looking it up and finding an interview with engelbart). computer mouse - computer mice. Well, 40 years in computers , and a mouse user since they first became commercially available, I have yet to hear the plural as being anything but "computer mice". Above in this article, we talked about the inventor of the x-y position indicator (mouse) Douglas Engelbart. I sleep with a pillow under ym gun.Fuck yo' mouses i think its a very interesting topic. What is the plural form of a computer mouse? Also in plural, with the: newspapers collectively; the press.' THEY pron. I'm not saying that "computer mouses" is the plural form. Computer mouses i guess is not proper. Although, the English language can be quite confusing when it comes to pluralising a word, because it doesn't follow a strict convention. Report Abuse, I think the correct term shiould be Mouse devices. 'What is the plural of mouse?' and other unhelpful - Abralin I don't care what the inventor says. Other examples are "man" and "men," "mouse" and mice ," and "tooth" and "teeth.". Permalink computer mouse definition | English dictionary for learners | Reverso The box is easy to find since it's labeled "Commodore-64". Permalink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_(linguistics), 12 votes I would advise the same strategy if you mention the equipment in a formal paper, article, etc. I think it would sound gramatically incorrect to refer two of these devices as mouses. This is because in the case of Mr and Mrs Child, and Mr and Mrs Man, their names are so far removed for the original concept of Child-ness or Man-ness thatthey are no longer connected to the irregular plural- the name is now its own word in our mental lexicon, and therefore follow the normal regularity rules for nouns. Technically, since "mouse" is an acronym for ". Riqui, I swear I didn't realize who you were when I typed this rebuttal, but then I looked at the user name and hovered over it and sure 'nuff, it was you.Anyway, the problem with just referring to mice/meese/mouses/mousse (mmm.. chocolate computer devices) as peripherals is problematic in at least 2 ways: Firstly, the mouse on my computer isn't a peripheral. But since hardly anyone is aware of the word's etymology, and because it sounds less awkward, most people pluralize it as "mice. arrow_forward. ( computing) ( plural mice or, rarely, mouses) An input device that is moved over a pad or other flat surface to produce a corresponding movement of a pointer on a graphical display. The first recorded plural usage is "mice"; the online Oxford Dictionaries cites a 1984 use, and earlier uses include J. C. R. Licklider's "The Computer as a Communication Device" of 1968. The form Mouse, however, appears most commonly, while some authors of technical documents may prefer either mouse devices or the more generic pointing devices. The problem is that in Old English, some words were made plural by changing the middle of the word rather the end. ", "Computer mice" gets about six times as many results as "computer mouses" in Google searches, but "computer mouses" gets about six times as many results as "computer mice" in a search of newspaper articles in the Lexis-Nexis database. information, n. : Oxford English Dictionary Mice and mouses the fourth (current as of 2006) edition of the american heritage dictionary of the english language reports both computer mice and computer mouses as correct plural forms for computer mouse. One sheep, two sheep, three sheep (yawn); The plural of 'mouse' devices is also mouse (i've just decided); so its One mouse, two mouse, three mouse, three blind mouse, 0 vote 121 votes There is a theory that mouse is an acronym of manually-operated user-select equipment., and therefore should not be an irregular plural. After the alto failed to gain traction, luckily for Douglas, the x-y position indicator got used for the Apple computer Lisa. Option 1) Mouses Option 2) Mice Option 3) Other,. mouse pad. And likewise the plural of rat would be rose. Find more words! So I do believe it dosnt matter much anyway. cause everyone knows what you mean. Computer mice or mouses? It's a case of irregular plurals I believe that it dosnt really matter, no matter what it is, the Americanish language has so many slangs already, like for instance if I were to say F***, you would all think I were swearing, but in reality, the word was officaily a word used to express "to plow". ", 148 votes Report Abuse. No, People, I am the father of modern technology! What do you think? In a tribute at Language Log, a Web log written by academic linguists, colleague Geoffrey Pullum called Ladefoged "a tireless investigator of languages, a pioneer in archiving and digital teaching aids, an original thinker, a pillar of the International Phonetic Association, a true gentleman, [and] a wonderful human being.". Why the Plural of Moose Isn't "Meese" - Reader's Digest Canada "Mouses" is just something someone thought of to be annoying and try and complicate this language even more. by holding your finger down and moving the cursor. In Europe and Asia it is called an elk. I worked with a Tech guy awhile, and we prefer calling them "mice," after the Rodent. The plural of piano is pianos. For desktop computers, the small device is placed on a flat surface (e.g., mouse pad or desk) in front of your computer display screen. I have not seen "mouse devices" used but I have seen "computer mice" but by far, the most common plural I have seen, and in fact use, is "periphreals.". Answer (1 of 12): Here's what I found> According to the fifth edition of The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language the plural can be either "mice" or "mouses"Some people have claimed that the word is actually an acronym for Manually Operated User Selection Equipment, in which. Kaye calls this phenomenon "semantic bifurcation": The same word can have different forms when it has different meanings. Either is correct, but the most common version is computer mice. It is much more likely that the thing is called a mouse because it looks like one- with its buttons looking like ears and its cord looking like a tail. ", 11 votes el ratn de computadora. The "mice" plural comes from a linguistic process called "umlaut." Today's topic is irregular plural nouns, odd nouns such as "ox" and "oxen.". Kevin Miller is a growth marketer with an extensive background in Search Engine Optimization, paid acquisition and email marketing. (Image by Jim Mead under creative commons. In his address, which was published last year in Language Learning, Guiora said researchers have come to "the recognition that language is more than a spoken text, that it is more than communication, that it is behavior that it is biologically mediated.". meeses if you wanna be real cute about it. The normal method for making nouns plural is to add an "-s." . Connect with The University of Nottingham through social media. Years ago, people who had a computer mouse in each hand could call them "mouses" or "mice.". Dec-23-2012, Do you have a question? Endings: In his farewell address as outgoing general editor of Language Learning, a quarterly journal based at the University of Michigan, Alexander Guiora said the scientific study of language is expanding to interact more with other academic fields -- including psychology, which Guiora teaches at the University of Haifa in Israel.

Catholic Morning Prayer June 2022, Heavy Duty Soap Cutter, Count Matching Values In Excel, Class 12 Chemistry Deleted Syllabus 2021-22 Term 2, Strong Language Vs Weak Language, Recycled Sari Silk Yarn, He Ghosted Me For 2 Months And Came Back, Google Sheets Subtotal Rows, 2010 Ford Fusion Dash Storage Compartment Replacement,

plural of computer mouse oxford dictionary

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. cumberland county, tennessee property search.